Saturday, September 22, 2012

Before I Start...

There are a few things you'll need to know about me:


1. I'm a bookworm.

I (try to) read all kinds of books. Fantasy, Crime, Drama, Historical Fiction, Psychology, ... you name it. In my opinion, every genre has something different to add to our reading experience.

2. I'm also an aspiring writer.

Which (partly) is why I'm creating this blog. The other part is because I want to share my thoughts on books with everyone.


And lastly,


3. I'm a Defender of YA Literature. 

(and Pop Culture in general)

YA Lit is and has always been underrated. With books that are fun and light-hearted, critics say they're not serious enough. With books that depict a harsh, cold world, critics say they have distorted life as it is, and deprived their readers of hope.
While I respect their points of view, I'll say that YA is just as fine as it is. Sure, it may not be as beautifully written as the classics, but it does what a book should do:
It reflects. A well-composed YA book mirrors what teens are feeling and facing today. It's carefree because we want to be carefree. And if the world in it is not perfect, well, life is not perfect. And of course, if it's not to your liking, put the books down.

[For deeper analysis on this topic, check out this article by Meghan Fox Curdon and the article questioning it]


With that said, let's get reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Although sometimes I can't reply to all of them, but I do read (and appreciate) each and every one :)