Monday, October 22, 2012

Book News Night #4: Movie Adaptations!

Every week, on a random night, I will report the latest newsworthy items in the world of books with some thoughts from myself.

Hi guys, and welcome to the 4th Book News Night! I know I'm a bit late for this (it's actually noon on Monday where I live), but it's not Sunday midnight yet for West Coast folks right? Still count!
In preparation for the 1st Movie Edition (stay tuned!), I'm dedicating this post for all the upcoming movie adaptations that I'm so anxious for.
(Disclaimer: All photos courtesy of IMDb)

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (December 14th, 2012)


As a Tolkien fangirl, how can I not be excited for this? Moreover, this movie sees the return of (almost) the entire crew from the Lord of the Rings Trilogy! *squeal* And like Lord of the Rings, I hope it will appeal to fans AND critics as well - though it's probably too much to expect an Oscar sweep like The Return of the King.
The only thing that I still don't get is the decision to make The Hobbit into a Trilogy, but Peter Jackson will work something out. He always does.

You can watch the trailer below, or try creating your own trailer!




For a throwback to Lord of the Rings, listen to Andy Serkis read The Hobbit in Gollum's voice!



2. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (November 22nd, 2013)

I didn't get to see The Hunger Games in theater, so I'm definitely going to see Catching Fire - preferably in Katniss' costume! Not to mention that it is the movie that introduces my favorite character in the Trilogy! (Guess who it is...)
Now, as it is not set for release until late November next year, the hype has not started (yet) - so I would recommend everyone who hasn't read the series to Just. Read. It. and enjoy it before everything is blown out of proportions. And may the odds be ever in your favor.


3. The Great Gatsby (May 10th, 2013)


Here are my stages of thoughts about this:
1. The Great Gatsby is being made into a movie: Great! I'll have to catch up with my Fitzgerald reading.
2. Freaking Leonardo DiCaprio gets the role of Gatsby: Even more reason to watch it then - Leo's one of my favorite actors, the range of emotions he can describe is amazing.
3. Baz Luhrmann is directing: OMG I NEED TO WATCH THIS!

Now here's a lesser-known secret about me: Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet has always been a guilty pleasure for me. And to hear that Leonardo and him are working together again - especially when Leo appears to want no connection with his phase as a "teenage heartthrob" (I don't blame him, even though the girl inside me who adores Jack Dawson is a bit heart-broken) is enough to make me do a happy dance!

This certainly won't be swoon-worthy (like R+J or Titanic), but Leo, I'm expecting you to make me cry like you did with almost every film.



4. The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones (August 23rd, 2013)

Want to know another secret?
I haven't read The Mortal Instruments. But I love the premise so I'm hoping to read it soon.
Now, on to the film: I love Jamie Campbell Bower in Sweeney Todd and Lena Headey in Game of Thrones, but I'm really not a fan of Lily Collins. She's a great actor, but I don't think she'll fit this genre.
But then again, I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.


5. Life of Pi (November 21st, 2012)

For me, this movie rest solely on the director. I love Ang Lee's Brokeback Mountain, and would love to see his work again! Not to mention that the premise of the book seems pretty interesting - I already got in on my TBR pile, and hope to read it before seeing the movie!


6. Ender's Game: November 1st, 2013.
The Ender's Game is another book that goes under the category of great-and-everyone-is-talking-about-it-but-why-haven't-I-read-it.
But thanks to the late release date, maybe I'll (finally) get to it. For now, just the fact that Abigail Breslin AND Hailee Steinfeld, who I consider two of the best actress in this generation, are starring in the film make it worth the wait.

Oh, and for all the John Green fans out there: Did you know that The Fault in Our Stars may be made into a movie?

Ok, so that's it for now! Just a small reminder: Don't forget to stay tuned for the first Movie Edition - I'm bringing you coverage and discussion on one of my favorite book-to-movie ever!

What about you? Share in the comments which adaptations you're looking forward to, or which one you love the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Although sometimes I can't reply to all of them, but I do read (and appreciate) each and every one :)