Saturday, October 27, 2012

Follow Friday #3: Most Irritating Writing Devices


This post will be linked to Feature & Follow, a weekly blog hop hosted by Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read.

Hi guys! Once again, I'm a bit late for this blog hop, so let's jump straight in!
But first, I want to remind you about the recap I did yesterday - please check it out and help me improve my blog by commenting and suggesting!

The rules: 
To join the Feature & Follow blog hop, what you need to do is follow Parajunkee's View and Alison Can Read, who are the two awesome hosts; and the two featured blogs on their sites (chosen by random). For this week, they are Carmen Jenner and The Y.A. Bookworm Blogger.
Then you create a post (like this one), where friends from the blog hop can comment and say hi, link your blog on the Linky Tools (you can do this on the two host sites, or any blogs on the hop that links to it).  
After that, you follow, follow, and follow any blogs you feel like! Don't forget to comment and let them know you are a new follower!

Here's this week's question!

Q: What writing device or trick most irritates you when reading a book? For example, if an author employs an omnipotent narrator that is sometimes considered bad form.
A: The one thing that irritates me the most when reading is the use of too complex words and sentence structures, especially if they don't fit the flow of the story. (I think these devices are called periphrasis and circumlotion?) Having an extensive vocabulary is great, but I believe reading is not only about the meaning, but also about the prose and the sounds. 
Another literary device I dislike in a book is deus ex machina (or when help just come out of the blue and fix everything). It's boring, and it's lazy of the author to do so.

What about you? What writing device do you find most irritating when reading?

If you've followed me, don't forget to leave a comment! And please check out my recap post to help me improve the site!

 

14 comments:

  1. Yes, deus ex machina is a lazy trick! You're actually only the second person in the hop to list this one :o
    New GFC follower =)
    Rinn (My FF)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much for the FF! I've returned the favor! Glad to know somebody agreed with me on the deus ex machina :)

      Delete
  2. Great choices! There's nothing worse than a lazy author!
    New follower here, yay!
    Thanks for stopping by my FF'S for this week
    Book Me! and Carmen Jenner.com
    Happy Friday! =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the follow, Carmen!
      Happy Friday to you too!

      Delete
  3. The deus ex machina is a very good point- haven't seen anyone say this! Thanks for stopping by my blog- old GFC follower !
    My FF
    ~Caitlin :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Caitlin, thanks for the comment! Happy reading!

      Delete
  4. I agree, an author should aim to be readable and compelling, otherwise they are going to lose their readers, which is no good.

    Old follower, here is my FF: http://www.onstarshipsanddragonwings.com/2012/10/26/feature-follow-friday-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I've visited your FF, happy reading!

      Delete
  5. NEW FOLLOWER
    pls follow back :)
    my site
    I'm not sure if the link works but just check my profile (Lite-rate-ture_

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment :) I've followed you back!

      Delete
  6. Hi! New follower here! I also dislike when magically help appears and fixes everything. Completely unrealistic and it is laziness on the authors part. Thanks for sharing.

    Also, I am giving away a Kindle or Nook (winners choice) on my blog if you are interested. There is only 1 day left to enter!

    Peace & Love
    Crystal @ YA Society

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Crystal, thanks for the comment and follow! I've followed you back :)
      Just checked out your site, it was so beautiful. I absolutely love it!

      Delete
  7. Hi new follower my blog www.vampandstuff.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Although sometimes I can't reply to all of them, but I do read (and appreciate) each and every one :)