Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Top Ten Tuesday #3: Favorite Fantasy Authors

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish.


This week's prompt is Top Ten Favorite Authors In X Genre - and of course, you all know I'll have to go with fantasy!

1. Jonathan Stroud (The Bartimaeus Trilogy)His books are the kind that makes you want to stay up all night reading and then skipping breakfast the next day to read some more. Okay, so that was an overstatement, but he has a style that combines the necessary world-building of a fantasy novel with witty humour - just read The Bartimaeus Trilogy and see for yourself!


2. J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter): The writer behind the book series that have made a whole generation started reading again. Her first post-Potter book, The Casual Vacancy, is a departure from fantasy, but J.K. Rowling's magical (for lack of a better word) world has and will always be with her fans.

3. Eoin Colfer (Artemis Fowl) I picked up the 3rd book in the Artemis Fowl series because it was a Bargain Book at a bookstore, and I needed something to  quench my Harry Potter thirst (I reread Deathly Hallows some months ago, and had been on the lookout for some fantasy). And finished it in one sitting. His books are what I would choose for a rainy day: Witty remarks and sentiments, relatable characters, and a plot that just sucks you right in.

4. George R.R. Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire): I started reading A Song of Ice and Fire after falling in love with the TV series, and it's been amazing for me. I love the details he puts into the settings and the characterization. And I'm only halfway through the 1st book.

5. Michael Scott (The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel): Sure, some may say he does no world-building whatsoever, but doesn't he have to research and merge all those mythological and historical characters together in a logical way? I respect him enough just for that.

6. J.R.R. Tolkien (Lord of the Rings): Tolkien. The father of modern fantasy. Oh, and he also invented new languages and cultures for use in his books. Need I say more?

That's it for this week's TTT! I love fantasy, so my favorite authors are a bit pickier than other genres. But still, it's a Top Ten, so I'm going to fill the rest of the list with authors I heard are great or have seen and loved the cover of their books but haven't had the chance to read yet:

7. Cassandra Clare (The Mortal Instruments, The Internal Devices)
8. Ursula K. Le Guin (Earthsea Cycle)
9. Philip Pullman (His Dark Materials)
10. Susan Cooper (The Dark Is Rising Sequence)


Which genre did YOU choose this week? And do you have any fantasy authors you would recommend?

5 comments:

  1. Artemis Fowl is so much fun! I have only read the first two books in the series, but I have loved them. I love how Irish they feel.

    Here's my TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never actually thought of Artemis Fowl that way! Irish... I'll probably have to reread the series and look at the series in that perspective!

      Delete
  2. Good list, I love George R.R. Martin's writing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... Definitely can't argue with JK Rowling and JRR Tolkien. Great list! :D

    Here's my Top 10

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. K. Rowling is a favorite!!!!

    http://mydailyobsessionreview.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Although sometimes I can't reply to all of them, but I do read (and appreciate) each and every one :)